How does a speeding ticket affect your car insurance?

A speeding penalty will make your car insurance more expensive, but there are things you can do to manage the costs and, most importantly, avoid speeding in the future.

In the UK, the courts can fine you and ‘approve’ your driving record with penalty points if you are found guilty of a traffic offence. The minimum penalty for speeding is a £100 fine and three penalty points added to your licence.

The endorsements must remain on your driving record for four or 11 years, depending on the offense (from the date of your conviction or the date of your offense). You could be disqualified from driving if you accumulate 12 or more penalty points over a three-year period – check your driver’s license record to see if you have any points on your licence.

Other ways to get points on your license include failure to report an accident, alcohol, drugs, and reckless driving. A full list can be found at

Speed ​​awareness course as an alternative to points

Almost any police force can offer the option of taking a speed awareness course as an alternative to a speeding conviction. The National Driver Offender Retraining Scheme (NDORS) is run and regulated by UK Road Offender Education (UKROEd) for the police.

The general philosophy is that motorists may be offered a course as an alternative to punitive sanctions, only if their conduct may have constituted a lack of concentration or an error in judgment, without serious or high-risk consequences. Classes are only offered if you have not been convicted of any other speeding offenses within the past three years.

A person volunteers to take an NDORS course and upon completion this terminates any criminal proceedings and no further action is taken against the driver/driver for the offense he allegedly committed on the occasion which led to the offering of a course. According to the police force, a virtual speed awareness course costs between £73 and £90 (June 2022).

If I get a conviction, when should I let my insurer know?

You are required by law to notify your insurer of unspent (current) penalty points or a conviction, and also if any driver named on your policy has points. Failure to do so will invalidate your insurance policy, meaning any future claims could be denied and you could also face criminal charges for fraudulently withholding information from your insurer.

For most policies, you do not need to inform your insurer until renewal. But you should always check the terms and conditions of your policy as they may differ depending on the company or the severity of the conviction.

How much more will my insurance be?

In 2018, Consumer Intelligence analyzed almost 36,000 insurance quotes and found that drivers with no speeding convictions paid an average of £693 a year, but that rose to £743 a year with any speeding conviction of speed. However, the biggest impact on bills came from being caught speeding on a motorway – the so-called SP50 offence, which added £101 a year to bills taking them to £794 a year . The cost was proportionally higher for those over 50.

Traditional insurers can refuse to cover those whose convictions have not been served. This means that the cheapest fonts will probably not be available to you. An insurance broker is probably the best place to start for a specialist policy for an unspent conviction (not a comparison site). You can search the database of insurance brokers on the British Insurance Brokers’ Association (BIBA) website, and there is a charity called Unlock to help people with beliefs get fairer insurance.

How to reduce the cost of a premium after a speeding ticket?

You can take the same general steps as anyone who wants to lower car insurance costs. increase your voluntary deductible (the first part of any repair cost), reduce your annual mileage, consider telematics or “black box” insurance if you’re sure you can change bad driving habits, and cut out extra named drivers. More drastic options are to downgrade your coverage (e.g. full coverage to third party, or third party fire and theft), or changing your car to one of lower value in an insurance group inferior.

How long will the sanction have effect?

Once an offense has passed under the law, it does not have to be disclosed. If your conviction has passed, you do not need to declare it when you apply for insurance, even if you are asked to do so. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 sets out details of served and unserved sentences in general.

For more information on car insurance, see the Association of British Insurers (ABI) website.

Source link

Justin D. O'Neill